THE ZERO PRINCIPLE
line, the realm of absolute negativeness, or the one real
absolute Force, the NOUMENON of the Seventh State of that
which we ignorantly call and recognize as ‘Force’; or again
the Noumenon of Undifferentiated Cosmic Substance which is
itself an unreachable and unknowable object to finite
perception; the root and basis of all states of objectivity
and subjectivity too; the neutral axis, not one of the many
aspects, but its centre.
The Secret Doctrine, i 148
The arcane conception of laya and the modern notion of
The meditations and practices of Tantra were born, legend
O Shiva, what is your reality?
What is this wonder-filled universe?
What constitutes seed?
Who centers the universal wheel?
What is this life beyond form pervading forms?
How may we enter it fully, above space and time, names
Let my doubts be cleared!?
1. Radiant One, this experience may dawn between two
2. As breath turns from down to up, and again as breath
3. Or, whenever in-breath and out-breath fuse, at this
4. Or, when breath is all out (up) and stopped of itself,
5. Attention between eyebrows, let mind be before
6. When in worldly activities, keep attention between two
7. With intangible breath in center of forehead, as this
8. With utmost devotion, center on the two junctions of
9. Lie down as dead. Enraged in wrath, stay so. Or stare
10. While being caressed, Sweet Princess, enter the
11. Stop the doors of the senses when feeling the
12. When on a bed or a seat, let yourself become
13. Or, imagine the five coloured circles of the peacock
14. Place your whole attention in the nerve, delicate as
15. Closing the seven openings of the head with your
16. Blessed One, as senses are absorbed in the heart,
17. Unminding mind, keep in the middle – until.
18. Look lovingly at some object. Do not go to another
19. Without support for feet or hands, sit only on the
20. In a moving vehicle, by rhythmically swaying,
21. Pierce some part of you nectar filled form with a
22. Let attention be at a place where you are seeing some
23. Feel an object before you. Feel the absence of all
24. When a mood against someone or for someone arises, Do
25. Just as you have the impulse to do something,
26. When some desire comes, consider it. Then, suddenly,
27. Roam about until exhausted and then, dropping to the
28. Suppose you are gradually being deprived of strength
29. Devotion frees.
30. Eyes closed, See your inner being in detail. Thus see
31. Look upon a bowl without seeing the sides or the
32. See as if for the first time a beauteous person or an
33. Simply by looking into the blue sky beyond the
34. Listen while the ultimate mystical teaching is
35. At the edge of a deep well look steadily into its
36. Look upon some object, then slowly withdraw your
37. Devi, imagine Sanskrit letters in these honey filled
38. Bathe in the center of sound, as in the continuous
39. Intone a sound, as AUM Slowly, As sound enters
40. In the beginning and gradual refinement of the sound
41. While listening to stringed instruments, hear their
42. Intone a sound audibly, then less and less audibly as
43. With mouth slightly open, keep mind in the middle of
44. Center on the sound ‘AUM’ Without any ‘A’ or ‘M’.
45. Silently intone a word ending in ‘AH’. Then in the
46. Stopping ears by pressing and the rectum by
47. Enter the sound of your name and, through this sound,
48. At the start of sexual union keep attentive on the
49. When in such embrace your senses are shaken as
50. Even remembering union, Without the embrace,
51. On joyously seeing a long-absent friend, permeate
52. When eating or drinking, become the taste of food or
53. O lotus eyed one, sweet of touch, when singing,
54. Wherever satisfaction is found, in whatever act,
55. At the point of sleep, when the sleep has not yet
56. Illusions deceive, colors circumscribe, even
57. In moods of extreme desire, be undisturbed.
58. This so-called universe appears as a juggling, A
59. O Beloved, put attention neither on pleasure nor on
60. Objects and desires exist in me as in others. So
61. As waves come with water and flames with fire, so the
62. Wherever your mind is wandering, internally or
63. When vividly aware through some particular sense,
64. At the start of sneezing, during fright, in anxiety,
65. The purity of other teachings is an impurity to us.
66. Be the unsame same to friend as to stranger, in honor
67. Here is the sphere of change, change, change. Through
68. As a hen mothers her chicks, mother particular
69. Since, in truth, bondage and freedom are relative,
70. Consider your essence as light rays from center to
71. Or in the spaces between, feel this as lightning.
72. Feel the cosmos as a translucent ever-living
73. In summer when you see the entire sky endlessly
74. Shakti, see all space as if already absorbed in your
75. Waking, sleeping, dreaming, know you as light.
76. In rain during a black night, enter that blackness as
77. When a moonless rainy night is not present, close
78. Whenever your attention alights, at this very point,
79. Focus on fire rising through your form from the toes
80. Meditate on the make believe world as burning to
81. As, subjectively, letters flow into words and words
82. Feel: my thought, I-ness, internal organs – me.
83. Before desire and before knowing, how can I say I am
84. Toss attachment for body aside, realizing I am
85. Thinking no thing will limited-self unlimit.
86. Suppose you contemplate something beyond perception,
87. I am existing. This is mine. This is this. O,
88. Each thing is perceived through knowing. The self
89. Beloved, At this moment, let mind, knowing, breath,
90. Touching eyeballs as a feather, lightness between
91. Kind Devi, enter etheric presence pervading far above
92. Put mindstuff in such inexpressible fineness above,
93. Consider any area of your present form as limitlessly
94. Feel your substance, bones, flesh, blood, saturated
95. Feel the fine qualities of creativity permeating your
96. Abide in some place endlessly spacious, clear of
97. Consider the plenum to be your own body of bliss.
98. In any easy position, gradually pervade an area
99. Feel yourself as pervading all directions, far,
100. The appreciation of objects and subjects is the same
101. Believe omniscient, omnipotent, pervading.
102. Imagine spirit simultaneously within and around you
103. With your entire consciousness in the very start of
104. O Shakti, Each particular perception is limited,
105. In truth forms are inseparate. Inseparate are
106. Feel the consciousness of each person as your own
107. This consciousness exists as each being, and nothing
108. This consciousness is the spirit of guidance of each
109. Suppose your passive form to be an empty room with
110. Gracious One, play. The universe is an empty shell
111. Sweet heartened One, meditate on knowing and
Then leave both aside that you may be.
112. Enter space, supportless, eternal, still.
THE ZERO PRINCIPLE